Saturday, September 9, 2017

Testing Standard: Lurantis / Tapu Bulu pt. 2

In an effort to increase his content output, Johnny is going to begin posting test logs. These will be short entries with high level thoughts and observations that will hopefully increase thinkspiration in the Pokemon TCG space.

Male pronouns will be used throughout these articles because Johnny has fallen victim to cis male white hetero normative corporate oppression. Or he is just trying to spin these blogs off in less than 30 minutes and making universally agreeable+grammatically correct pronouns is exhausting.

All obvious considerations about small sample size should be observed. 

 Played: Lurantis / Tapu Bulu

I made a few changes to the deck I was running the other day, but it is basically the same.

I bumped Max Elixir down to 3 because I am a big dumby and thought I owned 4. I only own 3 and the fourth one I ordered last weekend did not arrive in time for the tournament on 9/10 :'(

Can probably borrow one at league, but I kind of hate doing that. Actually kind of liked having the Professor's Letter. The extra Choice Band was also nice, as I didn't have any of the annoying "wouldn't it be nice if I hadn't prized/discarded on first turn Sycamore any Choice Band" games.  

Pokemon

4 - Fomantis
2 - Lurantis SM25
2 - Lurantis GX

3 - Tapu Bulu GX

2 - Tapu Lele GX

1 - Oranguru SUM

1 - Mew FCO

Trainers

4 - Professor Sycamore
3 - N
3 - Guzma
1 - Brigette
1 - Acerola
1 - Skyla

4 - Ultra Ball
3 - Max Elixir
2 - Field Blower
1 - Super Rod
1 - Professor's Letter

4 - Choice Band
2 - Float Stone

3 -  Aether Paradise Conservation Area

Energy

12 - Grass

Game 1 vs Gardevoir GX: I went first, started Bulu, ultra balled for Brigette, grabbed 2x Fomantis and Oranguru. Couldn't tell if the guy had a bad start, or was trying to keep a light bench. He started Lele and put on some early pressure, beating up bulu (who I should have attached float stone to and retreated turn 1 instead of attaching energy and leaving active). I hit a couple of elixirs onto Fomantis, took down a Gardevoir GX with Chloroscythe+4 energy+choice band, then just cruised. I don't know if I would call this a "skill" element to the deck, but there is definitely value in NOT evolving into Lurantis GX unless you plan on using a Lurantis GX attack that turn, keeping Fomantis gives you another elixir target which opens up some nice plays, and with Aether conservatory blah blah blah it effectively has 90 HP which keeps it out of "free prize" territory. 1-0

Game 2 vs Metagross GX: I really hate playing against this deck. It is just so dumb. I went first, started two fomantis. I prized one of the Lurantis SM25, so I knew this had the opportunity to get weird, but I had Guzma in my opening hand and knocked out a Beldum on my second turn with Solar Blade. I had another Guzma in hand, and was planning on dropping off his Metang and laughing as this stupid deck tried to function with only 2 Metagross GX, but he N'd me and I had to take the knockout on the vulpix he left active. Not all bad, because Flower Supply + Sunny Day = dead Vulpix + two energy on Bulu. He got two Metagross GX up the next turn and decided to attach+double Geotech System onto the Lele he promoted and attack Lurantis GX... which was fine, because I had Choice Band on my benched Bulu. Made a painful decision to Sycamore away my last Lele trying to hit one for the active Lurantis GX, but I whiffed. I could have KO'd the Lele with Chloroscythe, but I really wanted to save my GX attack for the upcoming treadmill of asinine bullshit between Bulu and Metagross. So I paid to retreat into Bulu, took the KO with Nature's Judgement+Choice Band+Sunny Day. He got his third Metagross GX, and decided to Guzma the damaged Lurantis GX on my bench, which was fine with me as I didn't see any more optimal plays for a Lurantis GX with 1 energy and 120 damage. So I promoted Bulu and began the idiotic cycle Metagross wants. He Lele'd for Sycamore on his next turn... which may have been necessary, but I only had two prizes left, and while he didn't know Lurantis SM25 #2 was one of them, without it killing a Lele was my easiest path to victory (barring terrible draws and/or misplays on his part). Like 7 turns later or something, I empty my hand with Ultra Balls and hit Skyla off of Instruct, then Skyla for Guzma, as he has played 3 N and I assume he doesn't have anymore. On his turn, he played Guzma to pull Oranguru active and promotes his Lele... which was actually kind of clever, but I had Float stone in hand, natch. 2-0

Game 3 vs Greninja Break: ok, the other day I thought it was impossible to lose this matchup in the absence of highly unlikely events. WELL. This Greninja player used Lele, which previous matchups did not. That, plus hitting Bubble a couple of times, retreating the break into Froakie to use bubble instead of attack with Shadow Stitching several times with puprose being to protect Greninja Break, good placement of Giant Water Shuriken, locking me up with Shadow Stitching... yeah. Actually having to play this matchup on a level where thinking was required made me realize a few things, mainly that you can't be careless with benching 2 prize pokemon. I knew this, in theory, but playing having played things that hit everying in Greninja for weakness for the past year (Vespiquen, Lurantis variants), I guess I forgot? It is probably worthwhile in this matchup to try and Utilize Lurants SM25 as an attacker. Just challenging to think through things like "will I be ok if I discard my last Bulu on Sycamore? he will be Giant Water Shuriken bait for a couple of terms, but Super Rod is in the discard too so I may be stuck without an attacker :[". 2-1

Thoughts on my list The extra Guzma was nice. Metagross guy was the only one who really took a shot at locking me up. Guzma as a card... I am not sure how I feel about it. Obviously it is something you have to include in basically every competitive deck; gust effects are just too valuable. All of the conditionals on Guzma are kind of a pain in the ass though. Like, I want to switch with it, but can't because my opponent's bench is empty. I want to gust with it, but can't because my bench is empty. The value it puts on both planning ahead, and just planning to have cheap/free retreaters doesn't really feel like strategy... it just feels annoying. Important thing for me is to be mindful of where my float stones are.

I feel like this deck kind of begs for a couple of Energy Switch, but I just can't figure out where the space would come from.

The more I think about Acerola in this deck, the less I like it. A lot of the time that I have access to it and an opportunity to use it the result will be a Tapu Bulu and three grass energy in my hand... Which is ok for prize denial, but kind of useless if I don't have a Lurantis GX or second Bulu setup and ready to do real damage. I might replace it with Pokemon Center Lady, or just swap with Olympia.

Overall I feel like there are a few other ideas to try here, but I don't think I am going to implement any of them for the League Challenge tomorrow. I am curious just to see what other people are running.

No comments:

Post a Comment