Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Testing Standard: Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor

In an effort to increase his content output, Johnny is going to begin posting test logs. These will be short entries with high level thoughts and observations that will hopefully increase thinkspiration in the Pokemon TCG space.

Male pronouns will be used throughout these articles because Johnny has fallen victim to cis male white hetero normative corporate oppression. Or he is just trying to spin these blogs off in less than 30 minutes and making universally agreeable+grammatically correct pronouns is exhausting.

All obvious considerations about small sample size should be observed.

Played Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor

Pokemon

3 - Darkrai EX BKP
2 - Giratina EX AOR

2 - Trubbish BKP
2 - Garbodor BKP

2 - Shaymin EX ROS

1 - Hoopa EX AOR

1 - Yveltal XY 

Trainers

4 - Sycamore
2 - N
2 - Lysandre
1 - Hex Maniac
1 - Pokemon Center Lady

4 - Ultra Ball
4 - VS Seeker
4 - Max Elixir
3 - Trainers Mail
1 - Escape Rope
1 - Switch
1 - Super Rod

3 - Fighting Fury Belt
2 - Float Stone

1 - Parallel City

Energy

9 - Dark
4 - Double Dragon

Game1 vs Regice deck. I didn’t have pokemon ranger, so this would be difficult. Thought I might be able to pull out a win because he played a lot of Shaymin, but my setup came together too slow to one hit shaymin when I needed to. 0-1

Game2 Played Xerneas break/Giratina. I think my strategy made this one worse than it should have been. Benching my own Giratina is a major liability in this matchup, and their attachments quickly get out of control, building Xerneas Break’s attack to kind of ridiculous levels. 0-2

Game3 vs Mega Gyrados. Got a decently quick setup for the first time, but got stuck with awkward hands where I needed to switch baby Yveltal to the bench (was only basic in opening hand) to attack with Giratina. Put a Fury belt on a shaymin I was planning to sky return which prevented a knockout, which was a nice little play… but I only had it on my bench in the first place because I wasn’t hitting supporters early and had to bench Hoopa-Shaymin on turn one, then ultra ball a shaymin on turn 2. The decision to bump Hoopa instead of the second Shaymin would be a great subject to discuss in the comments. 1-2

Thoughts on my list: The power of the archetype is immediately apparent. I wasn't able to get it to set up smoothly in any game I played (counting some solitaire before hand), either due to early supporter drought, or just bad luck/play. It has been six months since I last played... which I am sure did not help me.

Hex and Pokemon Center lady could come out. I love cute plays, but getting the one of supporter when you need it is considerably more difficult without battle compressor.

If you are going to use parallel city, 1 is enough. I did not have issues getting it when I needed it, which is similar to my experience last season. If you are concerned about your opponent getting it down first, you should probably just play M Scizor or something, because reworking a deck to let you bump Shaymin's consistently looks like it will be costly in this format.

I was expecting issues with switching to optimize Max Elixir, but this never really came up.

I found Super Rod more useful for stacking the deck in your favor for late game Max Elixir than pulling back pokemon.

I will probably practice some more with this list, and re-work it some, just to determine how consistent I can get the setup to be.

Overall Garbodor was not useful in any of these games… and really, not sure if Darkrai is an optimal attacker if the deck cannot be accelerated more to get him in range to ohko more stuff earlier. Possible I was just playing terrible, but the deck definitely seems to have a timer, ie if you do not get ahead of your opponent early, you will quickly be at an insurmountable energy deficit.

Based on some solitaire, these three games (lolz), and other anticipated archetypes… I am not sure why anyone not using a mega would incorporate Garbodor, as the only ability that looks like it will be present is Giratina’s, and I guess Volcanion (presumably will be played).

I need to play some more in general to get the rust off, then I will return to this deck to make a more useful read on its place in the meta.

No comments:

Post a Comment