Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Testing Standard: Vespiquen

In an effort to increase his content output, Johnny is going to begin posting test logs. These will be short entries with high level thoughts and observations that will hopefully increase thinkspiration in the Pokemon TCG space.

Male pronouns will be used throughout these articles because Johnny has fallen victim to cis male white hetero normative corporate oppression. Or he is just trying to spin these blogs off in less than 30 minutes and making universally agreeable+grammatically correct pronouns is exhausting.

All obvious considerations about small sample size should be observed.

Played: Vespiquen

I used the list Andrew Wamboldt posted on the Charizard Lounge a couple days ago. I have huge respect for the resources Andrew has developed. He is an inspiring deck builder and his stuff is enjoyable to read.

A big part of the respect I have for him is due to him keeping his blog free. I am still stunned that pokemon sites have pay walls. It is 2016. You are not a newspaper exploiting baby boomers. Half of your writers barely seem literate (and a large number of the remainder open all of their articles with intensely uninteresting recounts of their resume). I am not paying more for a few pokemon articles a week than I do for Netflix, or nearly as much as I pay for NBA League Pass. Maybe it is just because my day to day as an embedded software engineer exposes me to a world where everything is either open source, or has viable open source alternatives, but I am still shocked that the pokemon community supports this model of information sharing.

ANYWAY

the games:

Game1 vs Xerneas Break/Giratina. Awful setup, didn’t draw into a supporter until the fourth turn, by which time I was way too far behind. 0-1

Game2 vs Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor. I wasn’t able to get my mid game board state to a point where I could use Pokemon Ranger against Giratina without falling behind. The solution here is probably to make a more aggressive run at Giratina early. This seems extremely obvious now that I type it out, but didn’t occur to me in game… Probably because I am still feeling out this deck? I played Flareon variants a lot in the 2014/15 season… but that was a long time ago man. 0-2

Game3 vs Wailord. Had a solid start and came out really aggressive since I knew I could knock Wailord out. Drew through most of my deck without hitting DCE… which showed up when I had 8 cards left in deck. And by showed up I mean he discarded three on a team rockets handiwork and the last one on the same turn with Bunnelby. Nice. 0-3

Game4 vs Mega Rayquaza. Kind of difficult to decide who to protect with Klefki at times in this one. I won fairly easily, chipping down one mega ray early and then lysandreing Shaymin for the final four prizes. Zoroark and Klefki seemed to push my opponent into sub optimal plays. 1-3

Game5 vs Volcanion EX. The game didn’t recognize me playing a Lysandre and timed out… which was annoying, because despite the weakness issue, I think this is definitely a winable matchup. I need to work on being more aggressive with early discards, especially when it comes to discarding parts of the Vespiquen line, as falling 10 or 20 damage short of a KO can really set the deck back. 1-3 (I just won't count game errors?)

Game6 vs Mega Tyranitar + Clauncher. Much like the Mega Rayquaza matchup, to lose this game you have to either have a horrendous start, or they have to get extremely lucky draws, ie being able to lysandre around klefki for several turns. The situation klefki presents reminds me of Substitute Robot in Donphan when it ran wild on cities in 2014. 2-3


Thoughts on the list I need to spend some more time with this deck to pick up on some of the intricacies. I had a few situations where I was short 10-30 damage, that I am pretty sure were do to benching extraneous attackers early on.

I kind of hate Acro bike, but I understand why it is here. Really... I just hate discarding VS Seeker.

In the solitaire games I ran, and in the Xerneas game, I had serious supporter drought early game. This is probably due to reluctance to play Shaymin. I never had more than one on the field, and never lost on to knockout thanks to sky return... but perhaps I need to read these situations better and push Shaymin occasionally?

I am going to experiment with replacing Zoroark Break with something else. I understand the logic Wamboldt presented in his article, but I never had it in hand when I could use it, and usually didn't have the resources or motive to go find it.

Overall The only issues I ran into with this deck were due to my own misplays, or supporter drought/the deck seeming to come out backwards... Which could also possibly root in misplays. So I am confident that with some more practice and study I pilot this deck to more success than I found online tonight.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment